MECQ ‘absolutely working’ says expert

Photo Source: Getty Images

MANILA, Philippines — The implementation of a modified enhanced community quarantine is working in reducing the number of novel coronavirus infections being recorded daily in the Philippines, an expert said Friday.

According to Dr. Guido David of the University of the Philippines Institute of Mathematics, they’re seeing “positive indicators” that the MECQ is effective after it was placed again over Metro Manila, Rizal, Bulacan and other surrounding provinces on August 4-18.

After Metro Manila, Rizal, Bulacan and other surrounding provinces were placed under MECQ on August 4-18, according to Dr. Guido David of the University of the Philippines Institute of Mathematics, they’re seeing “positive indicators” that the lockdown has been effective.

David cited the effect of stricter measures in Cebu, where the number of new cases had been significantly reduced.

“Dati 300 cases, ilan per day. Ngayon 100 cases na lang yung average nila per day. Ibig sabihin nag-work talaga sa Cebu,”

Dr. Guido david in an interview with abs-cbn’s tele radyo

“It’s working talaga. Siyempre mas prefer sana namin talaga na mga one month ma-flatten yung curve sa NCR (National Capital Region) pero kung 15 days lang yung kaya, naiintindihan naman natin. Siyempre baka di na rin kaya ng government magbigay ng ayuda sa mawawalan ng trabaho,” David replied.

David said that the implemented measures really worked and that he was hoping for a month’s lockdown to flatten the curve in NCR (National Capital Region). But due to the government’s lack of funds for providing food to those who will lose their jobs, 15 days will have to do, he said.

The analyst said that, so far, daily infections in Metro Manila and other provinces are “somewhat decreasing” in their 4th day back in MECQ.

“We will see next week kung bababa pa siya sa mas mabilis na pace. Pero sa ngayon, nagde-decrease naman siya sa NCR.” 

David said that due to Metro Manila and the nearby provinces’ reversion to MECQ, they are seeing that the Philippines will reach 190,000 cases of the deadly virus by the end of August instead of 220,000 or more cases.

Author: The Manila Journal Editors

Editor-in-Chief

Leave a Reply