MANILA, Philippines — Duterte versus Duterte? ABS-CBN reported, citing Communications Secretary Martin Andanar, President Rodrigo Duterte will be filing his certificate of candidacy for vice president on Monday. He will be running against his daughter Sara for the vice presidency in next year’s elections.
President Duterte was seen on Saturday accompanying his close aide, Senator Christopher “Bong” Go, who filed for the presidency after withdrawing his vice-presidential bid.
Earlier in the day, representatives of the president’s daughter, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte, filed her certificate to replace the vice-presidential candidate of Lakas-CMD, the political party affiliated with former President Gloria Arroyo.
Shortly after her candidacy papers were filed by a representative, the political party of Ferdinand Marcos Jr., the son and namesake of the late Philippine dictator who has registered to run for president, adopted Duterte-Carpio as its vice presidential choice.
Garcia-Frasco said Duterte-Carpio would be releasing a statement shortly.
Duterte-Carpio’s decision to seek the country’s No. 2 job came as a surprise as she has led opinion polls throughout this year as the preferred presidential candidate.
“It was a surprise,” Antonio La Vina, professor of law and politics at the Ateneo de Manila University told Reuters. “Next surprise is VP for whom.”
Duterte-Carpio’s 76-year-old father is barred by the Constitution from seeking a second six-year term. He said last month he was retiring from politics.
The Southeast Asian nation of 110 million people holds elections in May 2022 for positions from president down to governors, mayors and local officials.
Apart from Marcos, other presidential aspirants in next year’s polls include former boxing champion Manny Pacquiao, vice president Leni Robredo, Manila mayor Francisco Domagoso, senator Panfilo Lacson, and Duterte’s former police chief Ronald dela Rosa.
Source: Bloomberg, ABS-CBN News, Reuters